Tax Refunds may be Delayed through Change of Names that are not Reported

Sunday, February 9, 2014 Print Email

The Internal Revenue Service has given a warning to the tax payers to be certain and notify the Administration of Social security before they can file their taxes in case their own name or even the name of a dependant has changed. Failure to do this, obtaining the tax refund could take a longer time than expected.

The Internal Revenue Service pointed out that this was very crucial since the tax return’s name should be in accordance with the records at SSA. In case the names are not matching, tax payers may receive a letter from the IRS themselves regarding the disparity. Additionally, in case they are anticipating a refund, it would be delayed by a change of name that was not reported.

The tax payers were advised to ensure that they get in touch with SSA if their names have changed after a marriage or divorce or if the dependent that is claimed by this tax payer has changed his name. This would apply for instance in case a child was adopted by the tax payer hence changing the last name.

The SS-5 form needs to be filled by tax payers, a Social Security Card Application together with an SSA to allow them know about the change of name. This form can be found at the website or even by calling (800) 772-1213 or by making a visit to the SSA local office.

The tax payers have got the option of writing a mail or filling in the Form SS-5 in an SSA office. This new card will hence forth show the new name but the same SSN number retained. In case the tax payer has ot a child who is adopted and may not be having an SSN, a temporary Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number can be used on their tax form. By filling in the Form W-7A, they can make an application for an ATIN. This is the Tax payer Identification application for the pending adoptions at the U.S and with the IRS. Te form can be accessed at the website or even making a call to 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676)

Source: ReadyRatios

Login to ReadyRatios


Have you forgotten your password?

Are you a new user?

Login As
You can log in if you are registered at one of these services: